Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Can't think of a clever title, so I'm sticking with... TWO MONTHS?!!

    
Some other temple... East coast! 
I can't believe it either... I have been here for roughly two months already and time has flown by. I am finally feel like I am settling into my daily schedule of school and riding the bus to a fro. These last two weeks have been pretty buy with my visit to Sokcho, the school festival and a wedding. I can't express properly with words how it feels to be an exchange student. The only way to truly understand is to experience it yourself. It has become on of the most gratifying experiences in my life so far. I am so thankful for this opportunity and even though it has only been two short months since I have been here I feel as though I have learned so much about life and about myself. I think experiencing other cultures first hand is one of the most important parts of life. Learning the ways of different cultures opens the mind to new ideas and acceptance of things outside of your comfort zone. So many people go through life only experiencing one culture, thinking that one way is the only way to live, but I think life is so much for than that. Life is about experiencing things, about growing and finding ways to be happy.

 I recently started reading a book called The Happiness Project, recommended to me by Avery Nelson. I am only about half way through the book but I recommend it to everyone. It is about making your life happier even if it is already in a good, stable place. I think there is always be a way to make yourself happier. I took this as a message to fully embrace the culture that I am living in and make it my world %100 for the next year. This goal will hopefully make this year THE best year of my life and completely unforgettable. 

Anyways... moving on from my inner-monologue. I promised in my last post that I would tell you about the school festival and my trip to the mountains, which really turned out to be the east coast which has mountains right next to it. I also attended a wedding and went to a park that holds the graves of a past prince and princess. 

View from hotel room

Two weekends ago, my host parents and I headed out early Saturday morning for what I thought was going to be the mountains. The drive was only about four hours and that put us on the opposite side of the country, next to the sea and sitting right outside of the mountains in Sokcho. It was so beautiful! We stayed at a resort on a golf course. My parents played a few rounds of golf with some old friends the first day and early the second morning. Then me and my host mom headed out to do some sight seeing. We were planning on going to Soeraksan, one of Korea's national parks but the line just to park took about 30 minutes and the walk back to the entrance of the park was even longer. I have never seen so many people, outfitted in hiking clothes, waiting in lines to take the bus to the entrance. Koreans really do take their hiking attire seriously, walking sticks and all. We ended up skipping that excursion and went to a Buddhist temple called Naksansa instead. It was right on the east coast, settled up on a cliff with blue-green waves crashing below. We did some more site seeing that day then headed back home. Even though I did spend quite some time sitting in the hotel, it was definitely worth it so see the wonderful views of ocean and mountain. 

The school festival was much like a talent show with everyone crammed into the gym watching students sing, dance, play music, Etc. Some students from the Osan American High School came for the day to watch and hang out with a group of students from my school. It was great getting to know some of them and learn about living life on a military base for their whole lives. One of our own exchange students from France danced to a few K-pop songs and she did awesome! She is an amazing dancer and plans on dancing as a profession I believe. She is now the most popular girl in school. It is pretty funny hearing all of the boys yelling "I love you!!" to her from down the hallway. There are so many talented kids in our school that dance, sing and play piano. It was quite an enjoyable event. 

I guess this post is a little longer than I wanted it to be but I only have a few more things to share! This last weekend I went to a wedding of some relative (not really sure who though). The venue was gorgeous. The inside of the building had an old, villa kind of look with white drapery and old chandeliers. The ceremony itself was only about fifteen minutes with lunch right afterwards. Korean weddings are not as long as American weddings. With no reception after, accept for a quick lunch buffet, we were only at the wedding a total of one and a half hours. Short and sweet! 

Koren life has become pretty second nature to me. I have gotten used to the social rule of no cleavage, but show as much leg as you want and talking to those older than me with words in the polite form. I have figured out the ways of my school uniform. Knowing how to fold the skirt a little to make it a tiny bit shorter and not tucking my white button up in, instead letting it hang down from under my sweater-vest to make it not look so awkward. These school uniforms were definitely made for girls that are of the stick skinny variety. My chopstick skills have improved to the point where it feels weird to use a fork and I can successfully eat ramen noodles with chopsticks. 

That is all for now! This weekend will be pretty busy hanging out with friends and exchange students which is a good things I think! Means I'm settling in right? If there is anything you are particularly interested in or have questions just leave a message and I will try and answer them as best I can! Until next time!! xoxo


P.S. I had an amazing meal of roast duck at a local restaurant, I have a feeling this is a meal that Connor  Rohwer would appreciate very much (: 

                                                     Pictures from trips and parks below!!

Omma and I at Naksansa



Drive to Soeraksan

Naksansa

Naksansa

Naksansa

Naksansa beach!

A park near my town 

a lovely fall day with everyone out and about!
                                         

 

3 comments:

  1. I LOVED your inner-monologue Calina! I am SO jealous! Your blogs are NOT too long...they are shorter than you think! Please keep posting...for all of us AND yourself! I have a question...does your host family have any pet? Do you get to see, or do you miss dogs and cats? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/gangnam-style-continues-to-inspire-awesome-tributes/289m2i5od?q=in+pictures&rel=msn&from=en-us_msnhp&form=MSNrll
    Are you in one of these videos? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hank, Thanks for all the comments! I am glad you enjoy reading my blog! I will have a new one shortly! I miss Boomer SOOOOO much! we don't have any animals here, not many people keep pets unless they are small dogs and some cats. But I don't miss cats, not a huge fan of them.

    ReplyDelete